McNeil's Department Store

The corner building next to Barnes Grocery opened as McNeil's Department Store in 1926 and remained in business until the late 1970s.

McNeil's 1928
The Monroe Journal Centennial edition 1966

1952 Crimson and White yearbook ad

McNeil's sold ready-to-wear clothing, sewing materials, shoes, and other clothing items.

1958 Crimson and White ad

1974 Friscola yearbook ad

November 2010

In the late 1990s, the McNeil's building housed a flower and gift shop called Burney's Buds and Bloomers, which also served sandwiches and milshakes. During that time, the adjacent remains of Barnes Grocery were converted into a dining courtyard for the shop.

Half of the building is now used for storage, and the other half contains a private painting studio and a private collection of historical memorabilia, much of it from Frisco City.

No comments: